Saturday 20 August 2011

Events

Serving coffee to the men in my basement and chatting as if they were life-long friends helped to me to see how pathetically lonely I was. These strangers filled a need. Yes, I had my family, but they were suffering too. A small group of teacher friends decided we would meet once a month in different restaurants for lunch. I circled the calendar and waited like a kid for Christmas. Then a light bulb went off and I thought of how I could have 'events' to look forward to. I just needed to schedule different events with different people once a month. All I needed was 30 friends! Okay... subtract 2 days for volunteering, 4 or 5 days for family, 4 days for painting class...How many friends am I down to? The strange thing is that it worked! I understand that I was filling empty hours and postponing the inevitable sadness that would visit me anyway, but my lovely friends went along with me and became my delightful 'events'.

No comments:

Post a Comment